Tuesday, May 5, 2009

it's not you, it's me...


So, I just want to clarify something. I just realized that every time that I have passionately said in the past "THE CHURCH NEEDS TO BE IN RELATIONSHIP WITH THE POOR", what I meant was "I (as a part of the Church) need to be in relationship with the poor".

I don't think I've had a more obvious yet significant realization in years. My frustration "with the Church" is not really valid, if I am the part of the Church that longs to be with the poor, when I get to be with the poor --then the Church (as a result) is being with the poor.

Of course, I believe that the Church should be caring for the poor. I also believe that no one should be doing this alone. There are others in the body who long to be with the poor as much as I do and as we find each other, we ought to be loving the poor together. The rest of the body can/should support this (through prayer, financially, etc.) without it being their primary call just as I need to support the things that are on other people's hearts even if those things are not my primary call.

It is not an excuse for anyone to not reach out to their neighbor but, it is freeing for me. I know this is SO obvious but, I hadn't seen it this way before.

1 comment:

Sophie Tally said...

Hannah, you so encourage me to care for the poor and vulnerable.


Thanks. :)

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke