Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Like a Foreigner

Right now I feel like a foreigner here in this country. Starting a job in an environment very different than I'm used to or ever have been in really, looking for a house, going to the Metropolitan Police Department, the Department of Motor Vehicles, walking around in the cold, and well, to be honest I feel like I'm just fumbling a little.

Today, I was trying to get something done at the DMV and they said that I couldn't do it without my father's signature. I don't know about most people, but for most people that might not be that complicated. You can call him up and ask him for some advice and get some pretty quick overnight mail delivery. It made me feel like a foreigner because my father doesn't live in this country and right now he's off in some remote place where I cannot just pick up the phone and say, "Hey dad, what should I do?"

Anyway, it's really cold here and grey. I know I shouldn't be complaining, I'm happy to be here, I have really great friends here, but the transition is getting to me and I'm not a big fan of the cold. You wouldn't believe how bundled up I am and I'm sitting inside! It's just that when you are trying to get things done and stuff that is out of your control impedes you from doing it, plus difficulties getting around ... it is really frustrating. Last night it hit me, I feel strange.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke