Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Getting ready for change

Change has always been a "normal" part of my life.  This past year has been very strange since I have encountered very little change.  I didn't move to a new country or house houses, for the first time in my life I didn't change jobs after one year, and in general everything has been pretty stable.  Then, I realized that I was pregnant and have had several months to get geared up for the next big change. 

The thing about this next change is that it's going to be very different from any other change I've ever faced.  I think having a baby has the potential to be harder and more rewarding than any of the other types of change I've experienced.  We are also expecting to move into a new house very soon.  So, now we are about to have a baby (in just a few weeks), move into a new house, and I'm not going back to work for several months -which at this point is also a big change!

I was doing some blog reading and found some excellent advice when encountering change and I thought I'd share some of the things I found:
  • Focus on what you have, not what you want. Getting grateful about what you have is the easiest way to put what you want into perspective. Even if you never get exactly what you think you want, find thanks and happiness in what you have.
  • Learn. If you weren’t so focused on the suffering or upheaval a transition offers, you could recognize the often subtle lessons that appear.
  • Exercise. Walk, stretch, move, take a hike, or do something that gets your heart pumping and body moving. There is happiness in movement and knowing that you are doing something good for your body and brain.
  • Establish routine. You might not be able to maintain your regular morning or evening routine during a time of transition, but you can establish mini-routines during the day. 
  • Choose happiness. Don’t wait for a transition to make you happy. It won’t. There are so many external forces involved in transition and life that your only hope for sustainable happiness is to choose it.
I love this and hope to implement these suggestions in the next few weeks and months.  =)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Love this, Hannah. Thanks for sharing this good advice.

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke