Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Making mistakes

On Friday we were let out for spring break and as I usually do when I have a 'break' I start reflecting on what I do and wondering if this is actually the place for me.  I want to be able to 'live in the moment', but being someone who reflects and reflects about what they are doing and where it will lead inspires me to continue wondering and dreaming in spite of being very certain that I ought to be where I am and doing what I am doing at the moment.

Last week I was feeling sick. I had a fever and was feeling exhausted.  So much so that when I was trying to multiply two numbers in class, I got completely confused and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and had to ask for help.  In that moment, the students said, "The teacher is being taught math by another teacher, that's not good."  

The cloud that was blocking my brain didn't allow me to really think about it until later, but being taught and teaching one another is something that makes us better people.  If one is not completely incompetent in what one is doing, being taught and teaching is how the world works, but it is often so hard to humbly accept that one can make obvious blunders in front of others.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke