Wednesday, May 27, 2009

a summer with panama


So, I just realized that the Smithsonian Latino Center is focusing on Panama this summer! How great is that?

They are going to have the Bannabá Project from Panama a group that reinterprets the indigenous music of Panama (Kuna, Emberá, Ngöbe-Buglé, and others) and combines it with genres like jazz, pop, calypso, and other Caribbean rhythms. This is going to be so good! The concert will be on Saturday, July 25.

In August they are going to have a "A Commemoration and Discussion of the 1989 U.S. Invasion of Panama". I lived in Panama in 1989 when the US Military invaded Panama to overthrow Noriegas government. Betty Brannan Jaen will be one of the panelists that will be discussing the Invasion. I grew up reading her articles in La Prensa. It should be such an interesting conversation. it will take place on Wednesday, August 5.

And then in September --this is incredible-- they are going to have Rubén Blades the most famous Panamanian musician, composer, and actor, talk about his perspective on the history of Latin music in the US. I am so excited about this, I wish I didn't have to wait until Thursday, September 24.

There will be a few other events in DC that will be featuring Panama. I'm so excited, I love my little Panama!

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke