Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Int' Water Day


I like water. I like drinking clean water without any fears of getting sick because of it. Every 20 seconds, a child dies as a result of the poor sanitary conditions endured by some 2.6 billion people around the world.

I think that often I take water for granted. I don't often in my prayer blessing the food say "thank you for this fresh, clean water". Maybe it is a good thing to stop and consider that as a real gift. I'm going to try to celebrate International World Water Day. Apparently, it is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. (I didn't know about it until this year).

There are a lot of random things people could do to celebrate World Water Day.
  1. You could learn about and donate to Play Pumps International.
  2. You could go to a World Water Day Event in your town/city. [Water for People DC is featuring the Filmmaker of "Blue Gold," Sam Bozzo; Friday March 20, 2009 6:30pm @ 1904 14th St. NW Washington, DC 20009]
  3. You could learn more about water and the water crisis through organizations like Water for Life.
  4. You could participate in the World Water Day International Poster Contest.
  5. You can provide access to clean water for 12 people by using a replyforall email signature for one month.
Last, and not least, you can be thankful for the next clean glass of water that you get to drink.


No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke