Friday, January 2, 2009

Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

I just finished reading Me Talk Pretty One Day and enjoyed it very much. I am a This American Life (the radio show from NPR) fan and David Sedaris is a regular contributor to that show. Therefore, I really like his somewhat dry, slightly sarcastic, yet surprisingly insightful humor.

I really enjoyed the second half of the book which includes essays about living in France. I really enjoyed the essay "Remembering My Childhood on the Continent of Africa" about stealing other people's stories and adopting them as your own. I'm sure that I've done that and that it has been done to me. There have been many times when someone will say "Hannah, tell the story about the time that..." as if it was something that had actually happened to them.

Anyway, it was a good, fast read. There are some parts of the book that causes the conservative in me to hesitate recommending it to the more conservative people in my life but, all in all it is brilliantly written. He's such a good storyteller.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke