Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How to portray poverty without offending the poor...


Not too long ago I went to see the movie Slumdog Millionaire with some friends. The movie is a strange mix of a fairy-tale like romance and a horrible portrayal of what seems like a brutally cruel life in the slums of Mumbai. I left the movie with mixed feelings. It was happy? It was terribly sad? I don't know...

I was just reading about the very negative reaction that many people in India had towards the movie. There were protests about the use of the word "dog" in the title. Many people considered it offensive. At the same time, others have said that it is just that most people wouldn't be willing to be so brutally honest about the conditions that many people do live in. It's complicated, that's for sure.

1 comment:

The Treslator said...

Hannah, I agree it is complicated. I left the film with a similar reaction. I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. This movie raises some good questions, and is certainly beautifully shot, but there's also a slight rub with certain aspects of the plot and the means of portrayal. With so many friends singing its praises left and right, it's reassuring to know that others have mixed opinions.

Anyway, I thought i'd give you a little shout and say hello. That picture up top is beautiful. Where was it shot?

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke