Monday, June 9, 2008

i'll let you in*

Today my encounters revolved not around strangers but with familiar faces in a strange place. My aunt, uncle, and three cousins came through here on their family vacation. I have only been here for a couple weeks so, in some ways, living here is new and strange to me still. We visited some places that were new to me and saw some things that have become slightly familiar. Being with people who have known you your whole life in a new place gives you a renewed sense of perspective on your life. I was reminded that I have people who love and accept me even if I never find a job or if I don't get my dream job.

About my dream job... the one encounter with a stranger I had today was on the phone as I interviewed for my dream job. She was pleasant, interesting, and asked good and unexpected questions. I thought it was a fascinating conversation and I am so excited about the opportunity. This is one stranger that I would die to have become a friend. After our conversation, I walked into the living room where my cousins were waiting for me. I had the biggest grin on my face and they loved me for being me. I didn't have to convince them that I was right for the job. It was not the usual people in the usual place but, the right people at the right time to help me celebrate excitement and remember that I am loved for more than my ability to perform.

*It's always interesting to label your posts with the title of the song you're listening to at that moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what is this dream job you're interviewing for? I've been interviewing for some jobs lately - but none of them have been all that dreamy even though I would really like to get one of them (oh, the compromises of being an adult). That's cool that you met Os Guinness, I've only read one of his books (The Call) and thought it was pretty good. What are your thoughts on the "Evangelical Manifesto?"

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke