Monday, June 9, 2008

bridges*

One more encounter with someone is the best way to explain what has provoked this sudden burst of writing. Again, this person is not a stranger, far from it. Even so, we have not heard from each other in a long time.

This encounter involved the familiar conversation whenever the two of us talk. I get asked, "What have you written recently?"
"I haven't been writing very much recently. How about you?"
"I've been writing some, it's hard sometimes. Why haven't you been writing?"
"Oh, I don't know, I'm in the midst of one of those --I don't think I have what it takes-- phases."
"What? How many times do I have to tell you that you have what it takes, you know that this writing thing is a huge process of trial and error anyway, don't you? You shouldn't say things like that."

I feel the rebuke and decide to write something. It feels good even if the product is mediocre. I need those encounters and I need the feedback.


*Dispatch, Silent Steeples

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke