Friday, August 23, 2013

Loving Dominic



Three weeks ago today, Dominic Luca joined our family.  We have been delighted and exhausted by his arrival.  The first three days in the hospital were exhausting and everything felt somewhat unreal.  When we arrived at home, we felt relieved and at the same time, we had to figure out how to take care of this little person who'd come home with us.  It was not as simple or intuitive as you might think.

I am so grateful that my mother was with us, she did all the things --like the laundry, sweeping the floor, and washing the dishes-- that are practically impossible to do while you are feeding a newborn or trying to survive on just a couple hours of sleep.  I'm also keenly aware of how blessed I am to have Ariel as a husband, friend, and father to our son.  He is so willing to help with everything!

I've tried to keep my expectations for this brief season focused on bonding with Dominic --I am a very restless person and I have many projects that I would be happy to spend time on.  Nevertheless, so long as I am still awake at 2am everyday I will stick to loving on Dominic for now.  I think that's all I can save my energy for.  If I get other things done, reading, writing, cleaning, cooking, etc. that will be great, but I want to enjoy Dominic and feel the joy of this fleeting moment in my life.  

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke