Sunday, June 26, 2011

Satisfaction and leeches

The leech has two daughters:
Give and Give.
Three things are never satisfied;
four never say, “Enough”:
Sheol, the barren womb,
the land never satisfied with water,
and the fire that never says, “Enough.”
Proverbs 30:15-16

I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be satisfied recently.  It always seems like there is something else I would like (a trip to some location, a house that is closer to my work, etc. etc.) and it's not that these things are wrong to desire but, it's wrong to allow it to consume you.  When you start to feel envious of those who DO have their dream house, who DO get to go on their dream vacation, etc. something is wrong.  I have so much to be thankful for, I do not want to be like a leech.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke