Friday, October 1, 2010

Are you ok?

So, today I was driving back from work and my car overheated again.  It's the second time that this happens while I've been alone.  It's the second time that I've had some people come over to help.  The truth is that there are scary people all over the world but, there are also a lot of people who are just willing to help if you need it.  I'm not saying that being a young woman doesn't help my odds on both sides (the good and the bad) but, my car overheating has done something good to redeem my view of the human race.  Both times, I've had some helpful man or two stop to help me out.  Both times they were men who were either on their way to work or were at work.

Today, I had to pull over to let my car cool down on what is equivalent to a freeway in the States.  People drive by at high speeds and it's kind of precarious.  It just so happened that I had just driven by some workers who were fixing something on the road and I hadn't been out of the car for a minute when one of them came over to ask me what had happened to my car.  I told him that the car had overheated and he immediately asked one of his co-workers to go get a bucket of water (which I wouldn't have been able to do on that free-wayish road) because my little bottle of water wasn't going to be enough to cool down my car.

The fact is that the amount of steam that came out of my car was impresive, I just hope that it didn't cause any permanent damage.  I'm wondering if I have some sort of leak because it seems like the coolant is just dripping out too quickly.  Anyway, that's not the point.  The point is that the three workers stayed with me untill we'd gotten the temperature down, they gave me their advice, and I was back on the road.  It didn't overheat again on the rest of the commute home.

I think that even though my car situation is a bit of a concern, the positive thing is that there are a lot of kind strangers out there willing to help you out if you're in a tight spot without asking you for anything.  That's the bright side of this whole thing, I was in need of some positive interactions with strangers.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke