Monday, March 16, 2009

Green Things and American History



On Sunday I had the opportunity to spend some more time with my 'Youth Ambassador' friends from Partners of the Americas. I met up with them as they tried to cross in the middle of the St. Patty's Day Parade and then as we tried to maneuver through the crowds at the National Museum of American History. Even Kermit is at the Museum of American History!

I spent my afternoon with a group of girls from Colombia and had a great time. They were already somewhat exhausted with all the running around to the monuments and other activities that they had been doing all weekend but, even so they were friendly and fun to talk to.

We walked into an exhibit about African-American History in the United States and that sparked and interesting conversation about race in the US and in Latin America. We talked about a little of everything and spending the afternoon with them made me want to work with youth again. I think that I'm young enough to love it and old enough to have something to offer. I'm glad I work with kids during the week, it is good and refreshing.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke