Thursday, September 6, 2007

ideas and the kitchen

This week has been an interesting one so far. Partially because of what has happened here and partially because of what has happened elsewhere. I find it interesting how "outside" factors can have such a strong impact on my "here and now" experience. I've had to spend too much of my free time trying to figure out where to take my car so that I can get it fixed. That took time away from my reading but, even so I was able to read most everything. I guess it also reminded me of the "goodness" of being rooted in "real life".

As a matter of fact, we have a built in "real life" component built into our experience. Working at the Lodge is good for us in lots of ways. We are going to practice some important skills of cooking, cleaning, and serving. We're going to learn how to humbly take and ask for direction and soon enough to take initiative and do things on our own. I have no need to complain. Today I was told to hurry up so many times that I don't want to count them but, as I told Josh: I will take it as a compliment because she believes I can do it faster. I thought I did a good job but, good just isn't good enough in the kitchen.

We've had class this week. It is going to be a good year but, I was thinking that due to the nature of our philosophical discussion I'm glad that we have to go work in the kitchen. We may feel a little differently about some of the ideas that we're throwing out but, you still have to chop onions and wash dishes if you're going to enjoy good food. It just comes with being human. What does it mean to be human was the main question we talked about all week. We all know that it is going to take our whole lives to figure that out but, it's an important question to think about.
live the questions now... R.M. Rilke