Monday, November 2, 2009

Today, I taught my first writing lesson at school. I was so nervous! At the same time, I was super excited. I am so excited about watching the students learn to see themselves as writers. I made a couple mistakes during the lesson but, I think that as I teach I'll do a better job and the students will do better as well. I'm still nervous but very excited. I've been thinking about the fact that I have so many interesting stories to tell from working at my school and I've also been thinking about how much I am in need of writing to process my internal messiness. So, once again, I'm resolving to write more.

The last writing unit that the students were working on was all about "small moments" it is that idea of writing about a moment that was significant in some way and describing everything, absolutely everything about it. How it felt, looked, smelled, sounded, etc. I loved that writing unit and have been inspired to take up writing again, as a student, not as someone who thinks that they can write but, someone who needs to write to be sane and is still learning how to do it well. It is a freeing thought and I think I'm going to try to do more writing.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke