Saturday, September 20, 2008

understanding complexity

Talking about being 'nervous' with my brother, he told me that he felt the same way when he first arrived in Costa Rica. All the local people terrified him with their warnings and stories. The fact of the matter is that well, it's not like I've never traveled alone or like I'm not aware of my surroundings. I don't act very nervous, that's for sure, I have this unnerving composure. I'd been practicing my serious face for a while and I just hope that my eyes don't give away the fact that I'm smiling on the inside. Particularly because it's so funny for me to be so somber.

I have a hunch that I'm going to get a very interesting and diverse collection of impressions about El Salvador when this is all said and done. I am excited about that, I hope that I get to meet people from 'both sides'. I want to get to know some of the privileged and some of the poor. I hope to learn what makes them excited, what gives them hope, what motivates them, how they feel connected to humanity. I might also get a glimpse of the 'ugly' part of both sides, I wouldn't mind. I believe that we all have our terrible flaws and moments of weakness --none of us is perfect.

No comments:

live the questions now... R.M. Rilke